I had a great day at the Calm Parenting University Workshop on June 24th. I enjoyed listening to the stories of the many parents who joined us,hearing from their hearts. I also enjoyed hearing from Kirk Martin and learning 40 concrete strategies to stop defiance, disrespect and yelling.
Truth be told, however, it was a TON OF INFORMATION to cram in to six short hours. I have been praying that God would work in and through the lives of every parent touched by the workshop – to help them apply these strategies to more effectively parent our children.
As I continue to pray for each of the CPU Workshop participants over the next several weeks, I am going to provide follow up posts summarizing each of the four sessions and include a list of action steps with each.
I pray that this information serves as a blessing for each of the parents who joined us at our workshop. I am also praying that each person to read this would be blessed by this.
Remember: You are not raising a child. You are raising a twenty-three year old, healthy, well-adjusted adult who makes good decisions.
CPU Workshop Session 1 Recap
It is not your job to control your child’s behavior. Your job is to control your own behavior… and teach your kids how to control their own emotions, moods, and behavior.
10 Strategies to Stop the Yelling, Lecturing, and Power Struggles:
- Control yourself.
- Demonstrate self-respect.
- Step back so your kids can step up.
- Conquer your control issues.
- Stop controlling people’s emotions.
- Control your own anxiety.
- Identify your triggers.
- Say no to rushing, over-commitment and toxic influences.
- Say yes to self-care.
- Do the opposite of what your anxiety is telling you to do.
- Do one activity this week to demonstrate self-care and self-respect.
- Identify one trigger this week and create a plan to counter it.
- Practice one new habit this week.
May God bless you richly this week as you move forward to becoming more of what God created you to be so your kids can become more of what God created them to be.